Put Your Bottom at the Top of Your Priorities: Schedule a Colonoscopy
You can take steps to reduce your risk of colon cancer by making changes in your everyday life. Take steps to:
- Exercise most days of the week. Try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise on most days. If you've been inactive, start slowly and build up gradually to 30 minutes. Talk to your doctor before starting any exercise program.
- Limit intake of red and processed meats. Choose lean, white meats like chicken breasts and pork instead. Or consider eating fish. Seafood contains a range of nutrients, including healthy omega-3 fats.
- Eat more vegetables and fruits. Fruits, vegetables and whole grains contain vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants, which may play a role in cancer prevention. Choose a variety of fruits and vegetables so that you get an array of vitamins and nutrients.
- Maintain a healthy weight. If you have a healthy weight, work to maintain your weight by combining a healthy diet with daily exercise. If you need to lose weight, ask your doctor about healthy ways to achieve your goal. Aim to lose weight slowly by increasing the amount of exercise you get and reducing the number of calories you eat.
- Avoid excess alcohol. If you choose to drink alcohol, limit the amount you drink to no more than one drink a day for women and two for men.
- Stop smoking. Talk to your doctor about ways to quit that will work for you.
Don’t take a chance! Schedule your colonoscopy today!